Unfortunately, we live in a world where we are constantly exposed to a number of toxins. These toxins, build up in our body over time and have been linked to a number of health problems including manipulation of hormones, thyroid disease and even cancer. Whilst some toxins (the ones we breathe) are unavoidable, there are a number of toxins we can reduce in our everyday life by implementing a few simple changes. Even if you just complete 1 of the 12 steps listed below, you will have created change that will better your health and wellbeing long-term.
- Invest in a good quality water filter to remove unwanted chemicals and additives from your drinking source.
- Use a stainless steel water bottle rather than a plastic bottle at all times to avoid exposure to Bisphenol-A (BPA), a chemical linked to breast cancer and other health concerns.
- Drink alcohol infrequently.
- Buy organic whenever possible. Ensure you wash and/or peel all conventional fruit and veg to minimise pesticide exposure.
- Always buy fresh seasonal, vegetables. Avoid frozen vegetables.
- Avoid canned foods. Many food and beverage cans are lined with BPA (see above).
- Cook using stainless steel fry-pans. Avoid the use of Teflon and other non-stick surfaces. Avoid the use of a microwave.
- Reduce your exposure to foods in plastic containers, opt for glass pyrex storage containers instead.
- Switch to natural detergents for household cleaning. Because cleaning product formulas are currently government protected trade secrets, consumers can’t read ingredient lists in an effort to avoid harmful chemicals. Look for danger labels and warning signs.
- Avoid medical drugs whenever possible (unless this is the only option for treating illness). Try to uncover the underlying cause of your illness with with the help of a nutritionist or holistic health coach or doctor.
- Use an aluminium-free natural deodorant and reduce your use of perfume. When you do use perfume, spray this on your clothes, instead of your skin.
- Choose natural skin products where you can. Personal care products like makeup, lotions, and even baby shampoo may contain chemicals that have been linked to everything from reproductive complications to cancer. Choose natural, clean products that don’t use things like parabens (preservatives) or petroleum-derived ingredients.
Have you taken the necessary steps to detoxify certain areas of your life? If so, how? What would you recommend to others?