I’m a practical person and loving giving presents that are useful. I’ve pretty much got it sorted when it comes to my family and friends but when they all started having babies, I realised just how out of my depth I was. In a bid to overcome this problem I sat down with all of the new mums in my life (all 15 of them, yes that meant 15 new babies also) and asked them what was the best present they received as a first time mum was and why. If you’re ready to become the friend or family member of the year, read on!
For all budgets…
Pre-prepared Meals – For those friends of mine who lived close, this was the easiest thing for me to do. I’d spend half a day in the kitchen prepping some freezer meals and drop them over. For those that lived interstate, a few friends went in together and ordered a week of home delivered meals from reputable home delivery services. Meal delivery companies like The Golden Month, Eat Fit Food, Kale & Co and Let Us Feed You Organics are some great options if you don’t have the time. This was hands down the most appreciated gift amongst all friends with a new baby, across the board.
Looking for some inspiration? These recipes are always a winner.
For those feeling a little generous..
- Help – Let’s face it, many new mums get excess amount of clothes, toys and story books so the second most appreciated gift was help. Whether you send round your cleaning lady, or find someone who can assist with the laundry, cooking or cleaning the bathroom, I’m sure your friend will be very appreciative.
- Post-Natal Massage – This came up a number of times! A gift for the tired Mum’s who need to physically book an appointment in order to have a break.
- Re-usable Cloth Nappies – Adorable cloth nappies with disposable liners that grow with the baby. Cheaper than disposable nappies over the long term and better for the environment. There are countless options on the market today – Eco Naps being one of them.
For those on a smaller budget…
- Glass Baby Bottles – Glass baby bottles are one thing new Mums don’t splurge on. These are covered in Silicone covers to prevent the glass from breaking. Being glass, it means that the baby is not coming into contact with BPA, BPS or other toxic chemicals. You can read about the effects of BPA here. The WeeGo Baby Bottles can be found here.
- Boon Baby Bottle Drying Rack – Perfect for drying any bottles or accessories of any shape and size. Sits perfectly on the countertop and is incredibly cute!
- Glass Food Containers – Along the lines of the BPA free baby, glass food storage containers are welcomed gifts for the baby starts on solids. Glass baby food containers can be found here.
- Breast Pads and Nipple Cream – the one thing new mums don’t realise they need until the baby arrives. Breast Pads can be found here and Nipple cream here.
- Dummy Thermometer – When my girlfriend pulled this out I thought it was genius. This is something all new mum’s need. You can find it here.
- Snot Sucker – Another one of those things as a baby novice, you would never know existed, let alone one know that each new parent needs one of these.
There you have it! Do you have anything to add to the list? Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.