Traditionally, ice-cream contained 5 real-food ingredients, today ice-cream can contain anywhere from 15+ ingredients (most of which we can’t pronounce). To avoid these nasty additives, it appears we have two options: spend hours searching high and low for a brand of ice-cream who follows the traditional methods or simply make our own… but who has time for that? You do! That’s right, you! This simple method to making some DELICIOUS ‘ice-cream’ takes less than 2 minutes to prepare and is made using one simple ingredient – no ice-cream maker required.
What is this magic ingredient? If you guessed banana, you’re right! Yes, this is an old trick we have been using for years and means we can enjoy delicious ice-cream, without the nasties, whenever we feel the need.
One Ingredient Banana Ice-Cream
- 1 large ripe banana – or more for a bigger batch!
- Peel the banana and slice them in half. Place them in an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Place frozen banana in a food processor or thermomix. Blend until banana resembles a creamy ice-cream texture. Serve immediately (if you like the softer serve), or place back in the freezer until it freezes once more.
- Get creative with flavours (see below!)
There are lots of different flavour combinations you can try. These are a few of our favourites:
- Add 1 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter before blending
- Add 1 tsp of cacao nibs for a ‘choc chip’ flavour combination
- Add 1 tbsp cacao powder, 2 tbsp coconut cream or coconut yoghurt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla