Ever ordered a chai latte (made from tea leaves) and walked away thinking it lacked body and flavour? I did, repeatedly; and even contemplated paying $4 for a green tea, just to overcome the problem. All this changed recently when a girlfriend introduced me to a Spiced Turmeric Latte and I’ve never looked back.
The problem? They can be expensive. So I set out to create my own. The result? My new favourite anti-inflammatory, nutrient rich spiced latte that is most definitely NOT anaemic on the flavour front 🙂
A delicious alternative to caffeinated beverages.
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg powder
- Pinch of chilli powder optional
- 1/2 tsp. ginger powder optional
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
Warm milk in a saucepan before adding remaining ingredients. Stir until combined. Reduce heat to simmer for a few minutes before straining and serving.
If you have a Thermomix, add all ingredients to the jug, 2 minutes, speed 2, 80C. Before serving, I love to increase the speed to add a little "froth" to the mix. Strain and serve.
I find using a full-fat coconut milk is too rich, as such I opt for Pure Harvest CocoQuench.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF A SPICED TURMERIC LATTE
- Cinnamon is an antioxidant and has been studied for it’s anti-inflammatory, anti diabetic, antimicrobial, anticancer, lipid-lowering properties.
- Turmeric is also a powerful anti-inflammatory herb. PLUS, the incidence of cancer is significantly lower in regions where turmeric is heavily consumed! You can read all about how I easy it is to incorporate Turmeric into your diet here.
- Ginger also a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, as well as anti-oxidant.
- Nutmeg is full of manganese, copper, and magnesium, as well as antioxidants.
- Coconut Oil is a great anti-fungal and will also help balance our blood sugars well into the day. You can read all about the additional health benefits of coconut oil here.