Now I've got your attention, there's a little more to this pizza than just those 3 ingredients. It could quite possibly be the healthiest and tastiest pizza you've eaten!
- 1/4 butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, THINLY sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced finely
- 4 tbsp. butter, organic preferred
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar (or balsamic, depending what you have on hand)
- 2 large pizza bases (see notes below)
- 150 g tomato paste
- 10 button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1/4 pineapple, peeled and finely diced
- 150g goat's cheese (Meredith marinated goat's cheese is my favourite).
- 2 handfuls of fresh rocket
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Line two round baking trays with baking paper – unbleached baking paper preferred.
- Arrange pumpkin slices on 1 x baking tray and pop in the oven to soften for 20 minutes.
- In a large pan/skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onions and pinch of salt. Using tongs, gently turn the onions as they cook. Allow them to cook slowly, turning them soft and brown, resist the temptation to turn up the heat or rush them.
- Just before onions are ready, add 3 tbsp. of red wine or balsamic vinegar (whichever you have on hand is fine). Stir through, allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes before setting aside.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven, and set aside.
- Place pizza bases on trays. Brush the outside edges of the pizza with olive oil before adding the tomato paste. Be liberal with tomato paste, it always tastes better 🙂
- Distribute caramelised onion evenly over the pizza base, the arrange pizza slices. Top with scattered sliced mushrooms, diced capsicum, pineapple and then goat's cheese.
- Pop in the oven and cook until pizza base is crispy (this will differ depending on pizza base but should be anywhere between (20-30mins).
- Remove from oven, top with fresh rocket and drizzle with olive oil, before slicing and serving.
I use the Britt’s Organic Gluten Free Pizza Bases here: https://brittsorganic.com/page/subcategory/gluten-free-pizza-base-turkish-bread
If you want to go grain free, don’t forget cauliflower pizza bases here: https://anappleaday.net.au/paleo-cauliflower-pizza-bases/
These are by no means the only options! Depending on your dietary restrictions, feel free to use any base you prefer 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Cuisine: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian