FOR THE PASTRY:
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (180g)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water (65g)
- 1/3 cup cold pressed olive oil (50g)
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/4 Kent pumpkin, large, diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 fresh pears, sliced (skin on)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 7 free-range eggs
- 3/4 cup full cream
- 1/4 cup almond milk or oat milk
- PASTRY BY THERMOMIX:
- In the Thermomix, add all of your pastry ingredients to the bowl and combine and knead for 30-45 secs. Take the pasty out of the Thermomix and roll it into a large ball and set aside in an air tight container until ready to roll 🙂
- PASTRY BY HAND:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and using your hands, knead the dough until it binds together well. You can also opt to use a food processor.
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add pumpkin, pear and red onion to the baking tray and place in the oven for approximately 20 mins, or until the pumpkin has softened slightly. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Lightly grease a quiche baking dish (around 3cm deep and 23cm diameter).
- Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of baking paper until approximately 3mm thick. Line base and sides of prepared baking dish with pastry, trimming away the excess that spills over the sides.
- Toss together the pear, pumpkin and red onion. Spoon this mixture into the pastry base.
- In the Thermomix or large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and almond milk until well combined. Pour over pumpkin and pear mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pop quiche in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until set. Once the quiche has set, set aside for 5 minutes to cool before serving with a delicious green salad.
GLUTEN FREE: If you want to make this recipe gluten free: skip the pastry and turn this into a delicious frittata 🙂
DAIRY FREE: If you want to make this recipe dairy free, you can skip the cream and add 1-2 additional eggs. It wont be as creamy in the centre, but will still work!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cuisine: Vegetarian