Whenever I’m asked to bring a dish to a special event, this ‘Roast Pumpkin and Beetroot Salad‘ is the one I whip up; not only do the rich colours of this dish draw everyone’s attention, it’s incredibly easy to prepare and tastes delicious 🙂
In preparing this dish, there are alternatives methods for cooking beetroot – bake, pressure cook and/or boil. You can read all about these (& more fun facts about beetroot, hint: keep your beet greens) here: “How to Prepare Beetroot (Properly)“.
Roast Pumpkin & Beetroot Salad
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 60 mins
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 200g fresh rocket leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp. coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
I personally prefer a combination of red wine vinegar and olive oil, however others (with a slightly sweeter tooth), prefer a drizzle of balsamic vinegar 😉 I thought I’d let you decide.
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan).
- Wrap each beetroot in a piece of unbleached baking paper and then again in aluminium foil. Bake on a tray for 40-60 mins or until tender.
- Line a separate baking tray with baking paper. Spread pumpkin pieces and red onion wedges over baking tray. Drizzle over 1 tablespoon olive/macadamia/coconut oil. Toss to combine. Bake alongside encased beetroot for approximately 25 mins or until tender.
- Once beetroot is done, remove from foil and baking paper, set aside to cool slightly before removing skin; if cooked well, this should peel off easily.
- Cut beetroot into 2-3cm pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, add rocket, beetroot, pumpkin, red onion. Top with walnuts, parsley, crumbled goat’s cheese and your choice of dressing. Enjoy!
- This salad pairs well with lamb, chicken and fish.
- Walnuts can be subbed for pine nuts 🙂
- Walnuts can be toasted in the oven and drizzled with honey for special occasions (just be mindful of your total sugar intake).
- If I don’t have parsley on hand, I like to sub in 1 tbsp. fresh thyme 🙂
- If you’re looking to add some “bulk” to this salad, add some cooked quinoa.