Mmmm… Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa; Is there anything better than the fresh, sweet taste of mangoes paired with a little Mexican spice on a balmy summer’s night? I didn’t think so.
This dish is on frequent rotation at our place; not only because it’s delicious, but because it’s fresh, light and incredibly easy to prepare.
For those on a gluten free diet, finding gluten free tortillas can be tough. Thankfully, Old El Paso now have a range of gluten free soft tortillas available in supermarkets; but if you want to go one step better, check your local health food store for 100% organic corn tortillas – these are our favourite 🙂
For those also looking to avoid the additives and preservatives commonly found in Mexican seasoning, I tend to skip supermarket varieties, opting for either an organic option from the health food store (buying bulk online is often easiest!) OR using a mix of organic herbs and spices to make my own. If that sounds do-able, you can click this link for more information: MYO Mexican Seasoning.
Now let’s stop talking about these Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and dive straight in!
One of my favourite dishes – sweet, light and perfect for a balmy summer night.
- 8 Soft shell tortillas (See notes)
- 500 g mild tasting white fish
- 2 tbsp. Mexican seasoning (see notes)
- 1/8 red cabbage, shredded
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, seed removed, diced
- 1 medium red capsicum, core removed, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped finely
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 avocados, shell and seed removed
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 large limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp. natural greek or coconut yoghurt (dairy free)
In a large fry pan, cook fish. Add mexican seasoning (if using white fish; if using salmon, avoid).
In a large bowl, combine all of the mango salsa ingredients. Gently toss to mix all the ingredients. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, combing all of the avocado "crema" ingredients, mashing together until smooth. Set aside.
Assemble your tacos: add one tortilla, 2-3 tbsp. fish, top with red cabbage, mango salsa, and avocado crema.