The healing properties of lemons are often overlooked. Want to improve digestion, balance your body’s ph, boost your immune system, clear your skin or move a little extra weight? Then drinking this natural, simple and extremely cost effective little concoction first thing in the morning might just be for you. Move over detoxers and juice fasters, everyone deserves a little bit of this action!
MY TOP 5 HEALTH BENEFITS OF WARM WATER AND LEMON
- Kick-starts your digestive system: Lemon juice is a digestive ninja, known to relieve symptoms such as bloating and heartburn, naturally! The citric acid contained in lemons encourages the liver to produce bile (an acid required for easy digestion) whilst aiding in the body’s detoxification process, helping flush the liver by removing mucus and waste.
- Helps balances your body’s pH: Here’s a fun fact: while lemon juice itself is acidic, it is actually one of the most alkaline foods available. Disease states only occur when the body pH is acidic. What causes your body to become acidic? Sugar, processed foods, alcohol, certain meats and grains. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body and bring your body back to a alkaline state.
- Boosts your immune system: Did you know lemons are higher in Vitamin C than oranges? A single lemons contains an incredible 187% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C, an incredible way to help boost your immune system and ward off colds and flu. Lemons are also rich in potassium, vitamin B6, folate, thiamin, magnesium calcium, phosphorous, and vitamins A & E. Potassium is important for stimulating brain and nerve function, fighting free radicals and helping to control blood pressure.
- Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It is also believed that people with more alkaline diets, lose excess weight faster.
- Helps clear your skin: The vitamin C component of the lemon juice helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. Used externally, lemon juice can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance as well as relieve itching from insect bites.
Warm Water and Lemon
- 1 lemon half
- 1 cup warm water
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into a cup of warm water.
- Stir to combine and you’re done! It’s that simple.
If you’re worried about your tooth enamel, follow this drink with 1 glass of filtered water.
It’s important not to use hot water as high heat can destroy the vitamin c found in the lemon juice.
Can’t bare the taste of lemon juice in water? Or perhaps, you want some more of this action? Try these:
- Add some lemon to your freshly squeezed juice
- Squeeze lemon juice onto your salad, stir-fry or roast vegetables
- Squeeze some lemon juice into your avocado mash