Ever had a craving for nachos but realised they were full of a whole lotta cheese, colours, flavours, additives and preservatives? I have! So I decided to get creative in the kitchen and whip up something nutritious and delicious with those same Mexican flavours. This dish is so good that we’ve had it on rotation for the last FEW MONTHS! You’ll love this gluten and dairy free option that’s packed full of veg.
Vegetarians – swap chicken mince for black beans and you’re good to go.
PREP TIME: 30 MINS
- 1 x 500g packet of organic corn chips
- 1 x brown onion, peeled and diced
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 x small red capsicum, diced
- 1 x small green capsicum, diced
- 1/4 pumpkin, peeled and diced into small 1.5cm cubes
- 1 x avocado, seed and skin removed
- 2 x tbsp. (or more, depending on your taste) of Mexican Seasoning (MYO HERE)
- 1 x jar of organic tomato salsa
- 1 x fresh lime
- Coriander to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin on baking paper and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a pan, over medium heat add chicken mince and brown onion. Slowly cook, stirring frequently until cooked through. Add Mexican seasoning and toss to combine. Ensure seasoning is mixed through evenly. Add pumpkin, toss gently and set aside.
- In a large baking dish, line the tray with a single layer of corn chips. Top with 1-2 tbsp. of salsa and then a single layer of diced capsicum, chicken and pumpkin mix. Add a second layer of corn chips, salsa and repeat with diced capsicum, chicken and pumpkin mix.
- Take avocado flesh and in a small bowl, mash the avocado using a back of a fork. Add some lime juice.
- Top nacho mix with smashed avocado. Garnish with coriander and serve.
(C) All images and recipes are subject to copyright.