This Grilled Eggplant & Tomato salad transports me half way across the world to a summer day in Italy.
This salad is light, fresh and the perfect accompaniment to any grilled fish, meat or chicken dish. It would also pair lovely with a potato salad for all my vegetarian friends.
TIP: When selecting your tomatoes, opt for as many different colours as possible. These not only add some incredible flavour, but they help you boost your nutrient and diet diversity. More diversity = healthy happier microbiome 🙂
A side salad that brings about the freshest ingredients the summer has to offer.
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1cm thick rounds
- 1 tsp. salt – Murray River, Himalayan or Celtic preferred
- 1 red onion, quartered, rings separated
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch mint leaves, picked and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 splashes red wine vinegar (to your taste)
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped I used red, yellow and dark red
- 75 grams goat's fetta
- salt and pepper to taste
Arrange eggplant rounds on a large plate so they're not overlapping, sprinkle with salt and set aside for at least 15 minutes to soften.
Meanwhile, combine mint, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice and red wine vinegar in a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
Heat a barbecue grill on medium heat. Use remaining oil to brush both sides of the eggplant. Chargrill both eggplant and red onion for 5 minutes either side or until tender, remove from the grill once complete.
Before serving, chop red onion into smaller bite sized pieces and toss with chopped tomatoes.
To plate up, arrange eggplant on a large plate, top with chopped tomatoes and red onion mixture before adding feta and parsley and mint salad dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.